A pet wellness plan is an annual or semi-annual contract purchased from a veterinary practice that provides routine care at a discounted price. The pet owner pays a monthly fee, and the plan covers vaccinations, routine examinations, and basic diagnostic tests. Most plans also offer discounts on other services, such as spaying and neutering, dental work, and some diagnostic tests.
How Does It Work?
Wellness plans are designed to encourage pet owners to bring their animals in for routine care, which can prevent many health problems before they start. By visiting the veterinarian regularly, your pet is more likely to stay healthy and have a longer life.
What Services Are Included?
The services included in a pet wellness plan vary depending on the type of animal, but most plans include the following:
- Routine vaccinations. Many of the diseases that can infect dogs and cats are preventable with vaccines. Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies, distemper, and other diseases depending on age, health, lifestyle, and location. They will need booster shots every one to three years to maintain immunity.
- Routine examinations. A pet wellness exam helps your pet stay healthy by detecting problems early when they are more easily treatable. The exam includes a physical examination, weight and body condition score, routine testing (such as a heartworm test for dogs), and parasite control recommendations. See more here for additional information.
- Basic diagnostic tests. These tests help your veterinarian diagnose health problems early. They may include a fecal exam to check for parasites, bloodwork for organ function and disease, and urinalysis for urinary tract infections.
- Dental care. Regular dental care keeps your pet’s teeth and gums healthy. Dental cleanings remove tartar and plaque from your pet’s teeth and can also detect oral cancers early.
- Spaying and neutering. Spaying (for females) and neutering (for males) are surgical procedures that prevent animals from reproducing. These procedures have many health benefits, including reducing the risk of certain cancers and behavioral problems.
- Discounts on other services. Most wellness plans offer discounts on other veterinary services, such as surgery. You may contact your animal surgeon about how this works.
Is It Worth Investing in a Pet Wellness Plan?
A few benefits of getting a health wellness plan for your pet make it a worthy investment. Here are some of them:
- Early detection of health problems. Wellness plans help you catch health problems early when they’re often more easily treated. This can save you time and money over time.
- Routine care at a discounted rate. With a wellness plan, you pay one monthly or yearly fee, and then you receive discounts on the routine care that your pet needs. This can save you a significant amount of money over time.
- Prevention of costly health problems. By getting routine maintenance for your pet, you can often prevent more serious and expensive health problems from developing. This can cut inevitable expenses and help your furry friend stay healthy and happy.
- Peace of mind. Knowing that your pet is receiving the best care can leave your worries and help you enjoy your time with them even more.
- Convenience. With a pet wellness plan, you can make one payment at the beginning of the year or semi-annually to cover your pet’s routine care needs. This can be helpful if you have trouble budgeting for unexpected vet bills throughout the year.
Is a Pet Wellness Plan Worth the Investment?
A pet wellness plan is an excellent way to ensure your furry friend receives the best care. These plans offer many benefits, including early detection of health problems, routine care at a discounted rate, prevention of costly health problems, and peace of mind. It may appear expensive initially, but a pet wellness plan can save you money in the long run.